Cleansing is not about deprivation, feeling tired, or feeling like you need to avoid food entirely. This is about taking some time to reconnect with your body, letting go of what you no longer need in your life, and regaining your sense of wellness. Once you begin to eliminate foods and substances that bog down your digestive system you will experience mental clarity, a more positive outlook, increased energy, and even weight loss!
- Upon rising in the morning, enjoy a warm cup of lemon+water. This is a fantastic way to wake up your digestive track and prepare your body for the day ahead. Add the juice from 1/2 lemon to a cup of warm water. Drink first thing in the morning before your first Juice Alchemy juice.
- You don’t need to sacrifice your caffeine habit unless you want to! We want you to feel good as you begin your journey. On your first day or two, you can still have a small cup of coffee if you need to. Just hold the cream and sugar.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. Keep a water bottle with you at all times, and take sips throughout the day. We recommend purified or Alkaline water.
- During your cleanse, maintain a vegetarian diet. If you decide to still eat lightly while cleansing, it is important to phase out processed foods (anything that has a shelf life, contains more than 5 ingredients, and doesn’t come from the earth). Avoid salt, packaged foods, breads, meat, fish, dairy, alcohol, and nicotine.
- Instead enjoy a bounty of vegetables, fruit, nuts, legumes, water, organic nonfat yogurt, salads, and herbal teas. If you're feeling hungry and grumpy, then eat! See our “recipes” page for some delicious ideas.
- Get lots of sleep. Aim for 7-8 hours each night. Turn off electronic devices 60 minutes before bed in order to feel well-rested.
- Take a walk in fresh air, or do some light stretching. While you are cleansing you will want to avoid rigorous exercise, but it is still a good idea to keep your body moving to maintain your energy levels and encourage blood flow to your digestive system.
- Bring mindfulness back to your body. Ask yourself how you are feeling periodically during this journey. If you notice yourself becoming emotional, take note and ask yourself, "why?". Sometimes when we detoxify our bodies, our minds experience new clarity as well.
- If you are interested in taking this time to do some introspection, we have a few wonderful books to recommend!
"Search Inside Yourself: The Unexpected Path to Achieving Success, Happiness (and World Peace)" by Chade-Meng Tan
- "The Pocket Pema Chodron" by Shambhala Publications
- "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey